Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Courtship

Courtship
'what it means to me and why I feel it is important!'

In the last few weeks I have been really into watching my new favorite TV show called 18 Kids and Counting. It is a show about a Christian family who have 18 kids, and the mom is pregnant with their 19th child. Their oldest Josh got married last year to the love of his life, Anna, and they recently had their first child. These are a few main thoughts I have about courtship, and there are much more, maybe I will write another post about more thoughts from different sources. Check out Joshua Harris' book's, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye," and "Boy Meets Girl," too.

I have watched the episodes around the time when Josh proposes to Anna, and seeing how their courtship went, and thought wow, that's exactly how I want mine to be when I meet my future husband someday. I have also been watching their wedding episode often, that one is special to me also. I have a special journal that singer and songwriter Rebeca St. James put out, and I absolutely love it! It helps me to prepare thoughts of purity for my husband and for him to one day see what I went through in this time of my life while waiting for him.

Seeing the kind of courtship that Josh and Anna Duggar had is awesome for me to see in today's society because so many people look at that as being to vain. All they did was hug when he proposed, very appropriate, then they held hands while they were engaged and courting, that's it, awesome again. When you limit it to just holding hands in the courtship, then there is less of a chance you will keep yourself, your whole self pure before the wedding night. So in seeing them and viewing the way they went through courtship, I really want to hold true to those same principles when I meet my future husband. Also hold them when we become friends, get engaged and court, then get married. I want us to stay pure to each other, for each other, and God, until our wedding night.

Since I am in the stage of my life where I am looking at guys and wondering when I may meet my future spouse, I can't help but to wonder where and when that might be. I constantly pray for him daily, and ask God to guide him in every decision that he makes, and that he may be praying for his future bride as well. I love him already, not because of "who" he is, but "who's" he is. He is a child and follower of Jesus Christ, like myself, and that's why I am going to love him so much when I meet and marry him someday.

Courtship to me is something that I feel God created to keep purity in a relationship between a man and a women as they enter into a important stage of life. The world sees it as "dating," then "engagement", courting is the same thing, just purer, that leads to marriage. For Christians, courtship is a way of keeping themselves pure before each other and God before they get to their wedding night. I think that having a good courtship shows that the couple will have a strong and lasting marriage in the Lord's care and guidance.

Thanks for reading about my views and thoughts on courtship. I thank God after already having "dated" myself in life, that he has brought me to a place of total surrender and am looking forward to my courtship with my future husband someday!

No comments: